Most important information among all that’s been posted, is the fact that we cannot perform a direct upgrade to GP 2016 from any version that’s lower than 12.00.1826. Not even those who are currently on GP 2013 R2 (12.00.1745). It has to be a two-step upgrade for all of them.
Account Framework Table Conversion – Tables getting converted are listed. This one’s crucial.
Database Compatibility – Make sure to change the compatibility level of all DBs (system & company DBs) to the version of upgraded SQL Server (SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014). To my surprise, they have not mentioned about SQL Server 2016 yet. I know, SQL Server 2016 has not been released yet, however, I would have expected some kind of note somewhere that says GP2016 would support SQL Server 2016 once it is released.
Workflow Documents Must Be Final Approved – Please make sure that all workflow documents are final approved before running the upgrade. Would fail otherwise.
Overlapping Fiscal Periods – Make sure that you don’t have any overlapping fiscal periods by any chance.
One thing that I noticed (and got happy about) is that there’s no known issue mentioned about GP Web Client. I don’t know if we would have a separate post discussing the known issues. So far, I haven’t seen one, so I am happy that things would go well with HTML5 web client.
This issue is probably remote and may not be faced by many of you out there. But I thought I would share this information with you all, just in case.
Issue: I was upgrading my GP 2013 to GP 2015. By the time, GP Utilities (almost) finished, it got stuck with an error while updating the table SY_Company_MSTR (Company Master) as shown below. I have tried to capture the entire error details on one screen:
Error Explanation on Table Error Details had more information that I could not capture above. Below is that additional information. I’d rather say, that’s the exact error message:
While that greyed portion denotes a company DB name.
Reason: I copied one company database (out of 8) backup from my production environment, restored it on my test machine and ran the utilities to upgrade to GP 2015. When Utilities tried to update Company Master table (SY01500, SY_Company_MSTR), it found records pertaining to companies other than one that’s existing on my test machine while it could not find the respective databases physically.
Resolution: If you are going to have less companies on your upgrade scheme than what’s there on your original GP environment, then you must run Clear Companies script. This script will clear all records pertaining to companies that are not physically available on your SQL instance.
Once I cleaned up the company records, my upgrade process went on successfully.