This one’s another issue that was eating my brain for the past 2 days. Little bit if story first.
I have a Windows 10 Pro virtual machine on my MacBook Pro. Things went well until I tried installing SQL Server 2014 Express, which required .Net Framework 3.5. .Net 3.5 is built-in and we need to enable it from “Turn Windows Features On or Off”.
That’s where the bummer was. I could not turn .Net 3.5 on at all. Following was the error message that I was getting:
That “Tell me how to solve this problem” takes you to this link: .NET Framework 3.5 installation error: 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F, 0x800F0907.
Unfortunately, for me, this post did nothing other than wasting my 10 minutes of time. Surfing about this error further led me to this post: Offline install of .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 10 using DISM.
This post discuss about a workaround, but the ONLY working workaround. Below is a screenshot of how this works:
I could then install/enable .Net 3.5 Framework on my VM and continue with GP installation.
This is my first post from Perth, WA. It’s been an excellent journey and so far so good. More about my Perth life later.
This is something that I never experienced before. When you download any file from PartnerSource or CustomerSource, Microsoft would let you do that only through it’s File Transfer Manager program. If you have that installed already, any download initiation would first invoke this program and then let you set the path/folder to take in that download and etc.
However, when I tried to do that from my new Windows 10 machine, the FTM did not open. I tried to figure that out, but later remembered this same issue happening on my Windows 8.1 machine.
Basically, from Windows 8.1, for some reason, calling the FTM from Internet Explorer worked only on a 32 bit Internet Explorer.
Looks like Microsoft has not fixed that yet. If you are wondering why your FTM didn’t work, this is the reason. Open your IE 32 bit mode and then try to download the file that you wanted to.
UPDATE (05-Oct-2015): Above did not work for me today. So further researching led me to this post which resolved my issue: Work around for getting File Transfer Manager to download from TechNet/MSDN