Apparently, it was my DYNAMICS.SET that was causing this issue. I removed my customisation dictionaries from GP folder, removed all necessary entries from my SET file. However, I totally forgot to reduce the number of dictionaries at the top of my SET file. Silly me!
Once I corrected my SET file, I was able to apply the YE2016 patch. All was well.
One thing I would like to emphasise here: Those who post questions on our GP forum, please mark the response as “answer” without fail. You would help others who search for an answer. You’d also give due credit to the person who shared his/her knowledge.
One of the important things that I noticed on this post is the instruction on Service Based Architecture (SBA) inclusion/exclusion. Though it’s not covered separately on this post, we are however cautioned on how to handle the options with regards to SBA.
Power BI Reports on Home Page – I would rather like to see Dynamics GP being added to the Power BI Connector Services. Don’t get me wrong. I love this feature, it’s great to have Power BI report widgets on GP home page. However, the ideal integration would be to see Dynamics GP Connector Service. I think that would possibly happen soon, considering the next feature.
Dynamics GP OData Service – This is going to be another important feature (HTML5 Web Client being the first one) that I have been waiting for. This will enable us to have an excellent Power BI integration. I am happy to see Power BI reports on GP Home Page, no doubt, but I am super excited about OData Service.
Most important information among all that’s been posted, is the fact that we cannot perform a direct upgrade to GP 2016 from any version that’s lower than 12.00.1826. Not even those who are currently on GP 2013 R2 (12.00.1745). It has to be a two-step upgrade for all of them.
I have had an interesting experience with one upgrade recently. While upgrading this customer’s GP to GP2015 R2, version check failed for one particular product. After going through the tables and SET file, I learned that the product in question was not part of DYNAMICS.SET and was not physically present in GP application folder. However, the SQL objects were very much present and DU tables had records for this product with quite an old version.
Customer informed that the previous implementer had installed this product, however in due course they realised that it was not required at all. Product was removed from the application environment, so there won’t be any necessary interference, however SQL objects and records remained.
It was a pain to clean up the records and continue with the upgrade process.
Beware of all possible scenarios and plan the upgrades well.
Account Framework Table Conversion – Tables getting converted are listed. This one’s crucial.
Database Compatibility – Make sure to change the compatibility level of all DBs (system & company DBs) to the version of upgraded SQL Server (SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014). To my surprise, they have not mentioned about SQL Server 2016 yet. I know, SQL Server 2016 has not been released yet, however, I would have expected some kind of note somewhere that says GP2016 would support SQL Server 2016 once it is released.
Workflow Documents Must Be Final Approved – Please make sure that all workflow documents are final approved before running the upgrade. Would fail otherwise.
Overlapping Fiscal Periods – Make sure that you don’t have any overlapping fiscal periods by any chance.
One thing that I noticed (and got happy about) is that there’s no known issue mentioned about GP Web Client. I don’t know if we would have a separate post discussing the known issues. So far, I haven’t seen one, so I am happy that things would go well with HTML5 web client.