GP2016 – Version Checks & Upgrades


Informative post up on Dynamics GP Support & Services blog about Version Checks & Upgrades. It discusses about various version check issues while upgrading GP.

I have had an interesting experience with one upgrade recently. While upgrading this customer’s GP to GP2015 R2, version check failed for one particular product. After going through the tables and SET file, I learned that the product in question was not part of DYNAMICS.SET and was not physically present in GP application folder. However, the SQL objects were very much present and DU tables had records for this product with quite an old version.

Customer informed that the previous implementer had installed this product, however in due course they realised that it was not required at all. Product was removed from the application environment, so there won’t be any necessary interference, however SQL objects and records remained.

It was a pain to clean up the records and continue with the upgrade process.

Beware of all possible scenarios and plan the upgrades well.

VAIDY

Advertisements

GP2015 R2 Upgrade – GP Utilities “SynchronizeTableData()” Error & Fix


This issue has already been reported and it’s also been addressed. I would like to post this still. To act more like a pointer. It’s quite crucial in nature.

I have been testing GP2015 R2 upgrade on my test environment when I faced the following error message:

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 6.10.32 PM

Quite evidently, upgrade didn’t go through after. I remembered this being posted on our GP Support & Services blog. Dug the post and got the solution.

Here’s the post: Known Upgrade Issues When Upgrading To Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 R2

Please note that this has been fixed already and is available with June 2015 Update.

Vaidy

GP 2015 DYNAMICS DB Upgrade – Issue & Resolution


This issue is probably remote and may not be faced by many of you out there. But I thought I would share this information with you all, just in case.

Issue: I was upgrading my GP 2013 to GP 2015. By the time, GP Utilities (almost) finished, it got stuck with an error while updating the table SY_Company_MSTR (Company Master) as shown below. I have tried to capture the entire error details on one screen:

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 8.34.42 PM

Error Explanation on Table Error Details had more information that I could not capture above. Below is that additional information. I’d rather say, that’s the exact error message:

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 8.35.16 PM

While that greyed portion denotes a company DB name.

Reason: I copied one company database (out of 8) backup from my production environment, restored it on my test machine and ran the utilities to upgrade to GP 2015. When Utilities tried to update Company Master table (SY01500, SY_Company_MSTR), it found records pertaining to companies other than one that’s existing on my test machine while it could not find the respective databases physically.

Resolution: If you are going to have less companies on your upgrade scheme than what’s there on your original GP environment, then you must run Clear Companies script. This script will clear all records pertaining to companies that are not physically available on your SQL instance.

Once I cleaned up the company records, my upgrade process went on successfully.

VAIDY

syExcelReports Table & SQL Server Native Client 10.0 – Thanks Aaron Berquist


While upgrading our GP from GP2010 SP3 to GP2013 SP1, DYNAMICS database upgrade stopped unexpectedly with GP crashing without any information for me to debug.

But it stopped exactly at table syExcelReports and crashed. Without spending anymore time, I just went and checked my ODBC DSN setup, as explained by Aaron Berquist on his blog High Dynamics Range. Expectedly, the ODBC DSN driver was not pointing to SQL Server Native Client 10.0.

For some reason, GP fails to process upgrade further if your DSN driver is NOT native client 10.0 or above.

Those who upgrade your GP to latest version, please check DSN before you start database upgrade using GP Utilities.

VAIDY