I am a bit late on this topic. We already have many posts (including Feature of the Day – Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP) on this written by several community members. So instead of repeating it again, I am just adding pointers here to those posts.
To just brief what it is: Document Attachment is a new feature in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013, which would enhance the way we currently deal with document attachments on a record. If you had sensed it right, yes it’s almost like OLE Notes, but much more than that.
This scores above OLE Notes, purely on grounds of three main factors:
- It doesn’t restrict itself to 32 bit architecture, like OLE notes container does.
- It is compatible with Web Client, but OLE notes is not.
- It stores the attachments on company specific SQL tables. You heard it right. It stores on database by harnessing SQL Server’s file stream, if I am not wrong.
More information about this (and how to use) could be read on below posts:
- Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP – Feature of the Day: Document Attach
- Azurecurve (Ian Grieve) – MDGP 2013 Feature of the Day: Document Attach
- iSolutions’ Blog – Dynamics GP 2013 Document Attachment Feature
Pingback: Document Attachment in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 : Interesting Findings & Knowledge Sharing