I had a necessity to change the collation of newly created SQL server instance from CI_AS to CP1_CI_AS.
To brief you about why this was needed, I wanted to test upgrade GP from version 2010 RTM to 2010 SP3. In order to that, I created a new SQL server instance with collation SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AS. I restored GP 2010 RTM backups on to this newly created server. But later realised that GP databases that I got for 2010 RTM was of collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.
There were two options. Either I must change the collation of databases to CI_AS or I must change the server collation itself to CP1_CI_AS. Later seemed to be a better option (for some reason, I wanted to retain the collation on the databases). I was left with changing the collation of server instance.
That’s when I got this link: Changing SQL Server Collation After Installation
I was worried about the whole process but this post saved me loads of time and sweat. Changing the collation was a breeze.
Anybody out there who is looking for the best possible method to change server collation, above is the post you would want to read.