I am not sure whether the issue that I am going to explain here has got any relevance to the actual issue that I faced recently. I leave it to readers and consultants out there to second my finding had they faced this before.
Issue: When I tried adding a GP Window to my GP Home Page Quick Links, the Add Command window hung indefinitely, forcing me to kill GP and launch it back.
Troubleshooting: I first ran the Dex Script Log and it was unfortunately inaccessible as GP had to be killed eventually and this file got stuck in between. I then ran SQL Profiler exactly at the time of clicking “Add Microsoft Dynamics GP Window” which triggers “Add Command” window to be opened.
Firstly, the process was still active and there was one table which got hit in a loop, I sense that an indefinite loop. The Physical Name of that table is SY07110. The Technical Name is syMenuMstr.
Secondly, this indefinitely looped process was hitting only one product ID in that table, which is 6499. This 6499 denotes the product Dynamics Online Services.
Thirdly, when I queried this table from SSMS, it had 5700+ records out of which 3750+ records where recorded only for Command Dictionary ID (CmdDictID) 6499, which is Dynamics Online Services.
I was totally clueless why this must had got so many records on this Menu Master table. I was also totally clueless what needs to be done with this product being active on my GP environment.
Solution (Temporary): I removed the Dynamics Online Services product (using Add/Remove Features) and this issue never occurred later.
I checked KB and I checked blogs & forums to no avail. Guess I was the first one to face this. Uninstalling the product Dynamics Online Services, is not a permanent solution, and it does not affect any other process than the Quick Links one. But this seems to be either a bug or something which went wrong in my environment.
Have to do some more analysis on this to get a fix.