I am late in blogging about this post. But NOW is the time, as this post just saved my 1/2 day. Seriously. Not kidding. I was stuck with one SQL query execution. There were records to be retrieved, but my code didn’t. After 5-10mins of frustrated troubleshooting, I remembered this post. I should have done that immediately then, but I didn’t.
I setup my VS Tools project to launch GP as instructed on this post and within 2 minutes I could find the issue.
This one deserves to be there on Microsoft Dynamics GP Cookbook (technical).
That customisation was developed using Modifier with VBA. But with Dynamics GP 2013, much emphasis has been given to the new Web Client. Which means, all our VBA code logic won’t be supported by web client.
That said, I have now converted my code from VBA to VS Tools (using C#.Net as programming language). Those who are interested can download it FOR FREE from following link:
Mariano’s latest post explains how to add more comment lines to POP Purchase Order report. The idea is to split the comment text into 80 characters sized fields and then displaying it on separate report sections. I leave you here so you could refer to this awesome piece of post from Mariano. It’s a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
There is an interesting point which Mariano mentions there, which is not about the topic itself, but about how clients have started demanding things from us, consultants, which shows how much clients are aware nowadays.
Modifier with VBA would have been the BEST and easy option for any developer or consultant for this functionality. But looks like the client was strictly against it because *it’s not supported on Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 Web Client*. :-)
But that demand indeed had led to another superb piece of customization using SDT.
Q: From where does the Inventory Adjustment entry retrieve a product’s Decimal Places Currency value?
A: When we create a product, this value will be defaulted from the Functional Currency of that company. While entering an Inventory Adjustment for this product, the decimal places currency value will then be retrieved from the product master record.
I realized this when I faced an issue couple of days back. I got a requirement where, I have to facilitate an automated program that will replicate a product information (Master, Quantities/Site, Vendors, Currencies & Price List) from one company to another. Of course, with necessary changes that are specific to the destination company.
It worked merrily till both companies had functional currencies with same number of decimal places. I had to extend this program on to another company, whose functional currency supports 3 decimal places. Now you might have realized the issue. My program, quite honestly, was written with a hardcoded value of 2 decimal places.
When I created some products on my new company using this program, I could not enter Inventory Adjustments with 3 decimal places. It was always 2. Upon spending some time on this, I realized what I have mentioned at the start of this post. You cannot override this at all.
So those who write customization like what I have explained above, beware of all such nuances which will play very crucial role in day-to-day transactions.
We can write cross dictionary triggers on DEX.DIC. I had tried this once, some years ago, and could not succeed. I never got a chance or requirement again that would push me beyond that limit. Looks like that chance is here and now.
And this is certainly the right time for me to reblog this point and the post itself.
The following error message was faced by users when they log off from GP:
Initially I thought it was occurring only on “sa” login. But couple of users today reported the same error when they logged off from GP.
When I analyzed this further, I realized that users who have access to Field Service processes in GP alone were getting this error message. Those who do not have access never reported this issue at all.
That made me to think about next step in solving this. No one has reported this issue yet, thus leaving me in the lurch.
I finally found a solution for this menace.
1. I logged off all users from GP environment, as it is Terminal Server environment for us. 2. Launched GP and opened Visual Basic editor. 3. Opened Field Service VBA project. 4. Did some harmless edits (like adding some comments, etc.). 5. Opened the “References” wizard. 6. Unselected all references and selected it back. 7. Compiled the entire project to check whether I am getting any error message. 8. Saved VBA project. 9. Logged off from GP.
Surprisingly (but expectedly) the error message never appeared again.
Those who are looking for some solution for this menace, here it is for you.